Tuesday, October 6, 2009

BREAKING. Heavy hitter joins hunger strikers for a month. 'Our culture needs a strong voice' - Sello Maake ka Ncube


You're reading it here first. This morning I was first to break the news of actor Sello Maake ka Ncube joining the fight about the SABC's shoddy treatment of the local production industry by embarking on a hunger strike with The Hunger Protest (their excellent blog here) and now I have the most important quotes of what happened at 12:00 today at the press conference for you first.

At this afternoon's press conference at Atlas Studios in Milpark, Johannesburg he confirmed that he has stopped eating in support of The Hunger Protest to show up the SABC's lack of transparency, ethics, respect, and other values.

Sello, known for his roles as Archie Moroka in SABC1's Generations and in e.tv's soapie Scandal!, takes over from Zamambo Tshabalala (24) who ended her fast with a glass of diluted apple juice and spoke about why she did it.

''I grew up in Soweto. We didn't have DStv. I am used to the SABC as the place where I and my people go to get local shows. Now there's mostly only international shows, and reruns. I see no future for myself on our television.  The youth programs have stopped engaging the youth on topics we care about. They are no longer relevant.''

At today's presser Sello said ''our culture needs a strong voice, but the institutions are corrupt. You go to Germany, you can see a play or a show in German. You come to SA and it's a different story. Our culture is being abused.''