Wednesday, May 25, 2011

The end of an era as the age of Oprah concludes with the final episode, after 25 years, of The Oprah Winfrey Show.



Here's a sneak clip and a few minutes from the very final episode of The Oprah Winfrey Show that came to an end today in America with talk show host Oprah Winfrey alone on her stage talking to her audience.

I was spot on with my guess that Oprah Winfrey's guest for her last episode would be herself. The intro music and the music playing in and out of commercial breaks were also Paul Simon's adapted version of his 10th season Oprah theme song which I, right here in September last year, said would be perfect to actually close out the final Oprah episode with.

In the audience were people like Mrs Duncan (who've appeared years ago on the show), Oprah's 4th grade teacher. The final episode was all about her biggest life lessons and her most memorable moments.

''It has been a privilege for me to speak to you here. You let me into your homes to talk to you everyday. This is what you allowed me to do, and I thank you for that. But what I want you to know is each of you has your own platform. Do not let the trappings here fool you. Mine is a stage on a studio. Wherever you are, that is your platform, your stage, your circle of influence. That is your talk show and that is where your power lies,'' she said.

''What is the secret to the show? I non-joking say: my team and Jesus. Because nothing but the hand of God has made this possible for me. For all you who get riled up when I mention God and want to know which one I'm talking about, I'm talking about the same one you're talking about. The Alpha and Omega. The One and only God. That's the one I'm talking about. That grace is working in my life at every single turn.''

Oprah told her audience ''I want you to stay in touch. Here's my email address: oprah@oprah.com . I'll read and answer as much email as I can.''

Finally Oprah Winfrey picked up her dog Sophie and walked backstage through Harpo, hugging staff members. ''I won't say goodbye. I'll just say until we meet again. To God be the glory.''