Sunday, November 19, 2017

Paxton Fielies wins the 13th season of Idols on Mzansi Magic as runner-up Mthokozisi Ndaba disappears and is a no show at the post-show press conference.


Garnering the majority of the over 30 million votes cast during the past week, on Sunday night Paxton Fielies (17) from Bishop Lavis in Cape Town became the winner of the 13th season of Idols on Mzansi Magic (DStv 161).

Meanwhile runner-up, Mthokozisi Ndaba (25) from KwaMashu did a a stunning disappearance act and was nowhere to be seen afterwards as he refused to attend the post-show press conference before the media - the first time ever in the 13 season history of the show that the runner-up chose not to be at, and sit at the winner's press conference.

The win of Paxton Fielies - who gave up her school year and dropped out in June to pursue her Idols dream with the permission of her mom Crystal - further cements Cape Town and the Western Cape's lead as the city over KwaZulu/Natal as the city and province that yielded the most Idols winners over the course of the series.

Paxton Fielies was the youngest contestant in the 13th season out of the Top 16 group.

The 13th season of Idols produced by [SIC] Entertainment once again racked up records, pulling in close to 100 million votes (just over 98 million) over the duration of the 13th season that once again was also not just a Mzansi Magic but an overall DStv ratings grabber.

Idols has been renewed for a 14th season, with nationwide auditions that will start on 28 January 2018.

TVwithThinus asked Paxton Fielies about her decision about dropping out of Grade 11 and with so much on the line - and if and how she will finish her studies, and if she feels vindicated in her decision.

"Me and my mom really had to sit down and actually discuss the pro's and con's but then again, this is an amazing opportunity and I kept procrastinating to enter competitions."

"This year, I thought, that 2017, is my risk-taker year. It was definitely a risk that was worth taking with my studies."

"I definitely will complete my studies. For me, time is not really something that bothers me. It's the fact that at least I know now [that I've won] where I'm going; where I'm headed."

"I will definitely completely my studies, whether it be through correspondence,online, study, home schooling. I don't think I will physically be able to go to school with shows and performances happening."

"But for me it's very important, it just depends on how I manage my time, but I will definitely finish my studies and do shows," said Paxton Fielies.

"I feel like I've learnt about a lot of new things. I experienced new things. I learnt about a lot of things in the music and entertainment industry during Idols."

'I knew this was a chance for me to discover new things'
"The highlight for me - except winning - is celebrating my birthday on the show which was amazing. And also I never thought I'd be performing on my birthday and for me that's always been a dream - to be working on my birthday."

"Idols has been a great platform for me to grow as an artist and as a person," said Paxton Fielies.

"There's still a lot to learn, but I'm ready to learn. I'm open to learn. For me every week was a difficult week, but what I always did, my supporters - they always drive me."

"Even if its 5 people, then I know that there's people who appreciate my talent and who are listening and who are supporting and I know those are the people who are going to buy my music."

"That's why I always say I don't consider them supporters. I consider them family because they've always been there for me, and they are the reason why I am here today."

Paxton Fielies said "I knew the platform that Idols provided and I knew that this was a chance for me to discover new things about myself as an artist."

"Sometimes I got criticism from the judges, maybe not such good comments, but I didn't let that get me down because I knew there were people voting for me and I knew that I worked hard."

"My goal is to make it internationally," said Paxton Fielies, who said that "I don't want to just be an R&B or just a pop artist. I want to appeal to different audiences."

"If you have a dream - everybody has a dream. But you have to execute and make that dream become a reality."

"There is no limit to what you can achieve if you work hard for it and you believe in yourself."

Gavin Wratten, executive producer, said Paxton Fielies is "once of the most grounded, level-head, focused 17-year olds I've ever met in my life. She's really awesome."


Growing social media interaction as important as ratings
TVwithThinus asked Reneilwe Sema, M-Net director of local entertainment channels what factor the social media interaction - the massive voting statistics for instance play alongside the actual TV ratings in a show such as Idols and when it comes to renewing it for another season.

Idols drew a new record of over 30 million votes for the final week before the season finale, and drew close to 100 million votes (98 million) in total for the season - a phenomenal feat that shows tremendous direct viewer engagement on second screens as they watch Idols on the first screen as a pay-TV show.

"The social voting element is key because it does prove the popularity of Idols," said Reneilwe Sema.

"The more engagement you have, the more popular the show is. So we look forward every week to see what the numbers are that come in. And the more people who vote, it means the more popular the competition is, the more intense the competition is, the more engagement there is."

"It's very important to us. And besides the ratings the social media interaction is important as well because it means the audience is engaging with the show on a weekly basis."

"To track the consumers and what they are saying about the show, is very important to us."